The Islamic Republic of Iran has adopted numerous laws on intellectual property, namely:
1. The Law of Registration of Marks and Patents adopted by the National Consultative Assembly in 1931. The 51-article law was meant to meet the demands of the time.
2. The Protection of Authors, Composers and Artists Rights Act (Copyright Law) adopted in 1970
3. The Translation and Duplication of Books, Journals and Audio Act adopted in 1973
4. The Law on Protection of the Rights of Authors of Computer Programs was adopted by the Islamic Consultative Assembly in 2000. The executive bylaw of the 17-article law was ratified by the Iranian Cabinet in 2004 after a four-year delay.
5. The Electronic Commerce Law of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was adopted in 2004, protects intellectual property rights electronic transactions involve.
6. The Protection of Geographical Indications Act was adopted in 2004 and its bylaw was ratified by the Judiciary chief in 2005.
7. The Law on Registration of Patents, Industrial Designs and Trademarks was adopted in 2008 and its executive bylaw was ratified by the Judiciary chief in 2009.
8. The 1958 and 1998 laws which authorized the Iranian government to join the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property and to adopt the amendments of the Paris Convention (The Stockholm Act)
9. The 2001 law on accession of Iran to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
10. The law on Iran joining the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (December 25, 2003) and the Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks (December 25, 2003)
11. A decree on Iran joining the Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False or Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods (June 18, 2004)
12. A 2004 law on Iran joining the Lisbon Agreement for the Protection of Appellations of Origin and their International Registration (March 9, 2006)
13. A 2007 law on Iran joining the Patent Cooperation Treaty (October 4, 2013).
To implement the Law on Registration of Patents, Industrial Designs and Trademarks and its executive bylaw, Iran complies with international treaties and the Islamic Consultative Assembly is debating Iran’s official entry into the following treaties:
1. The Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services [for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks]
2. The Locarno Agreement on Establishing an International Classification for Industrial Designs.